January 06, 2008

Whats My Name?

Ever since school, or rather Kindergarten (affectionately called Jr. KG and Sr. KG here) theres been mass (yes, mass) confusion over how my name is supposed to be pronounced.

My name is Dylan. Now, as far as I've seen, this name has been pronounced is so many different ways I couldn't keep track of them. My parents, and other relatives call me Di-lun ("Di" as in the one in "dignity")

Thats what my parents want the official version of my name to be. Thats also what the people in my building call me, due to which they often misspell the name.

Outside my building its a different story. My school calls my Die-lun.
When they first starting calling me this in my early school years, I really didn't give a damn. Didn't bother to correct them.

There was a certain special classes I used to attend some years ago. A guy there used to call me "Dinal" Don't ask why. He just did. >_<

There wasn't any real version that I preferred. Until one of my friends in the 8th Standard decided to call me "Dilin"
I really wasn't bothered what he called me then, but then a few months later, I decided I liked the name Dilin. So I kept it. So now if anyone asks me what my name is, "I'm Dilin" ^_^

Its just odd coincidence that one of my close net pals calls me Dilin too, even though I didn't tell her anything of the above.

My school still calls me Die-lun though. And its continued at the college level as well.
I now use the Dielun-Dilin name strategy to categorize my friends. :P

Now the question remains : What did you call me?

As a side note-
I saw this in the morning paper today. (Hindustan Times' Sunday magazine Brunch to be exact)
It made me smile. So I'm sharing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions